Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Its The Experience That Matters


Hey all,

I have not been doing this in quite a long time, have I? Well, now I am back to blogging. Been busy with life and studies and other activities but now I am totally free. Free like a bird.

Some of you might know that I had a moot competition named LawAsia'11 National Rounds from 22nd July to 24th July 2011. This was my first time moot and I was so anxious and excited to be apart of the competition. However, the process of going into the competition was exhausting. Late night sleeps, back home late at night, reads loads of cases, mastering the advocacy skills, drilling with coaches and seniors, reading law, memorizing law. It was pretty exhausting yet fun and exciting experience. You know, when you think about it that's how law students' life should be. Literally lifeless but that is the fun part of being a law student. You are exclusive to your own kind. You and only your clan who knows what you are into. Other people may not understand your work or activities but that is exactly how it goes in a real life.

The practice and drilling experience was fairly PRICELESS. It was nothing like I have ever imagined. The seniors and coaches were so helpful. Not forgetting my batch friends. They were very helpful and selfless. They share they teach they educate they advice. That is how its supposed to be. However, not every team is perfect. There will be one or two arguments which was completely normal for a team. You must have some clashes of mind and you would want to defend yours. There must be an argument but all that arguments help the team. We became closer and tighter. Not to forget, the FOOD! It was like leaving in heaven. Food is everywhere. If there is no food in the court, someone must have gone out to buy something. Food is never an issue in the moot court. Gosh, I have been putting relations between moot and food and that is not good. LOL. All in all the practice went on smoothly and everyone was dedicated in their work and all worked out well.

The Competition

22nd July 2011: All of us gathered at the Faculty to sort things out between all of us. The one who drove were me, ellena and fikie. We called it 'THE THREE SAGAS". We all started our journey to KL at around 1pm. As soon as we stepped our foot in the hotel, The Zon (100 feet from KLCC), all of us were anxious and nervous at the same time. We had a briefing session at the KLRCA (Kuala Lumpur Regional Arbitration Center) at 4pm which in real started at around 4.30pm. It was basically a look-at-your-enemy time but the first-timers were focusing on our own nerves. I personally, I did not feel the heat just yet but maybe a slight heat and that was due to the ACTUAL SUN HEAT. After all was done, all of us went back to the hotel and walked to KLCC for dinner. It was a marvelous dinner. Though we only had dinner at the food court but still, the excitement was awesome. Everyone was excited and happy. Then, we went back. Packed stuff for the next day and had some last-minute read ups then sleep.

23rd July 2011: I woke up at 5.15am. Took my bath and started to prepare my mind with my script and all while the others were getting ready in the shower and all. At that moment, I finally felt the heat of the competition. I started to feel the nerves and the anxiety. Stepped foot in KLRCA and my team had the first session at 8.30am. But it was the claimant's round so I was only the bench counsel. Dayang and Paan were the ones who moot for that round. I was the respondent so I was not needed to moot. The round went smoothly. The judges were High Court judges and a lawyer, senior high court judges. Can you feel the heat already? Though I was not the one who moot but I was so very nervous at that point of time. The round was good and it got compliments from the judges which was very good. They were quite impressed cause we are part 1 students. Later that day, it was my time to moot. I did not have my lunch cause I was so nervous. Had to go out from the building and took my time to relax and took a last look at my script. At 1.30pm, my round started. The judges were experts in Maritime Law who is working in the AG Chambers, A High-ranking man in Shell and a judge/lawyer if I'm not mistaken. I couldn't remember. It was nerves-wrecking. But, I managed to do well in that round and I got some positive feed-backs. It was a really good experience for me to get to moot in front of important people. Later that night, it was the announcement time for groups who made it to the finals. Without putting too high hopes on my own group, OUR GROUP'S NAME WAS CALLED AS ONE OF THE FINALIST! It was SUPERB! I was so excited. We jumped and screamed our lungs out and all. That excitement followed by tears of joy. I called my mum and as soon as I heard her voice I broke down. That was the TEARS OF SUPER JOY! We then went back to the hotel. Took a shower and had our last minute session again with Aril's team. They too made it to the finals. So, there were TWO Mara teams who made it to the finals. The All-Senior Team and the All-Junior Team (The Virgins).

24th July 2011: It was the morning that I was so afraid of. The respondent was in the first session of the day and I was the one who moot. I was so nervous and that caused me a bad performance. It was literally bad performance though I got good comments from the judges. I thought my performance was bad. I should have done better job instead I stumbled. It costs us a winning round. That was with UIAM and me and Paan were so eager to beat them unfortunately it did not happen instead we were beaten by them, badly. Next was the Claimant's round against ATC. It was a good performance from both Dayang and Paan but I thought they did better in the first round. All in all, all of us did great and I AM SO PROUD OF ALL OF US! WE ALL DID GREAT!

As what have been expected we did not make it as champions instead we were last in the final round which made us the Top 5 team, still! Thank God! Before that, I would like to congratulate Paan for winning the Number 4 spots for the best mooter ranking. I am so proud of you, brother! I want to say that I was so happy to get to work with both Paan and Dayang. You guys ARE THE BEST! Can't wait to moot with you guys in the future.

Before I end this post, I would like to Thank Everyone; coaches (Sir Irwin, Miss Ummi and Mdm Mazlina), seniors (Aril, Zharif, Arina, Ojan, Alia, Kak Q, Fikie, and Bam) and last but not least my beloved batch mate (Ellena, Hannah, and Lala) and most importantly my TEAMMATES (Dayang and Paan), not to forget Rin who could not make it with us (there's always next time aite). I Love you guys!

Love,
MARL!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

a lovely post...nice one marlysa =) hope that u will stay in the team longer so that I will have the privilege to moot with u and other uprising mooters =)

regards
zharif