Friday, December 16, 2011

A Leader

The faculty had a voting session for the upcoming High Committee of the Law Society Club of Faculty of Law today. I had the chance to vote for the post of President, Secretary and Treasurer although it was late in the evening but at least I did my part.

For this entry, I will make a few comments on qualities of leaders. I know I am not qualified to talk about this cause I am NO-ONE and I am NOT even a leader myself but I am sure that as a follower I have the right to comment on certain leaders' qualities that I like, dislike, hoped for, and expected for.

Some people think that being a leader is an easy task. What he or she has to do is only to give jobs to whomever working under his name and that's it. Little they know that with all the instructions given comes responsibility and liability. A leader is responsible for all the acts done by the people working under and is liable for the wrongdoings although they know nothing about the act.

Back to the topic, these are the leadership qualities that I think play important role.

1. Unbiased
- People had always mistaken the word bias. Bias does not only mean bias against a group of people but it can be more than that. Bias can be very obvious or very hidden or sometimes he or she does not even realise that he or she is being biased. A leader should be able to differentiate or distinguish or separate personal matters, work matters and formality. In university life, we are working with our friends. Our friends are sometimes our boss or even someone who works under us. Friends are friends OUTSIDE the period of working. A leader should be able to act accordingly. It should not matter if that someone is the boyfriend or girlfriend, the leader should be able to treat them equally with others. The girlfriend or boyfriend should not get to give excuses or even an-early dismissal. A leader should know that everyone needs to be given equal treatment.

2. Listen to opinions
- A person with power tends to not listen to others and think that they are the best in the society or community. Well dude, YOU ARE NOT GOD! You are only human. you are not perfect and you are not the best. When ever you think that you are the best, think again! There is always someone who is smarter, more brilliant than you are. Listen to what your colleagues have to say. Listen to their opinions and suggestions. If they have any criticism, accept them. Do not be a LOSER by not respecting opinions of others. As I said, you are not the best. Sometimes your colleague has a more brilliant stuff than what you have.

3. Be Organised and Disclose Information Properly
- A leader has to be an organised person. Not only your work has to be organised but also your thoughts. When even your thoughts and work are organised, you would be able to disclose information to your colleagues properly. This is IMPORTANT! To deliver a proper message and information so any miscommunication will not occur. In organising an event, communication among the committee is very important. Miscommunication could cost a serious, major problems in the event. Therefore, a leader should have a very good communication skill with the colleague.

4. Be Firm and Strict but with a BIG SMILE
- Strict and firm is one of the most significant quality, in my opinion. Strict and firm is strictly for the colleagues not be able to step-on-your-head. However, together with that a leader needs to be someone with a great big smile and with that a laughter. You do not want your committee to be afraid of you in front but spit-on-you at the back. You do not want that! you want them to be able to smile and laugh and do their work with such pleasures and smile on their faces.

5. Great Respect
- Respect others to be respected by others. This is the motto I have been holding since ever. I always believe that when you respect people, they will respect you back no matter whether they know you or not. Therefore, a leader should respect the colleagues so that they will give the same respect to the leader. A leader needs a sense of respect from the people under him rather than a feeling of fear. Fear does not always guarantee quality. I can assure you that together with respect comes good quality of work. When ever people like to do something or like the person they are working with, they will work hard and work better to achieve the goals. This is so different when the person is doing work out of fear. The work done will not be as honest and I hope you will understand it when I say this. No need for further elaboration, perhaps.

I do think that a leader plays an important role in making sure that everything goes on smoothly. Though work has been disbursed to the other people but it is the duty and responsibility of the leader to make sure that everything is going on as planned.

As I said earlier, I AM NOBODY and I know what I am saying does not affect anyone but this is my thoughts and qualities I see to be in a leader. I should not put so much hope cause PEOPLE ARE NOT PERFECT and SO DO I!

These are said for the sake of saying what is in my mind. I know that it is EASIER SAID THAN DONE but WHEN THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY. When the person soon-to-be leader should consider instilling these qualities in them.

That is all from me.

Merci,
MARL!

No comments: